Since I have posted about the Cayenne pepper
I have been putting it on everything I eat.
And honestly I have never felt better.
But this post isn't about Cayenne it is about
another wonderful spice Turmeric..
Turmeric has been used for over 2,500 years.
It is a plant in the ginger family.
Nicknamed The Spice of Life.
20 Health Benifits
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Turmeric helps you reduce pigmentation on your face and even out your skin tone. It can be easily done at home. Mix a little turmeric with cucumber or lemon juice and apply to your face. Leave it for some time and wash off. A one-time application will be of little help and only regular use will give a soft glow to your face.
- Troubled with acne? Whether it’s for you or your teenager, turmeric is a beauty ingredient that is harmless and yet offers great results. Turmeric mixed with sandalwood powder and a little water, and applied to the face can greatly reduce the appearance of acne. It’s definitely a cheaper alternative to all those creams and gels that are often not as effective as desired or they claim.
- Here’s a great idea for an all over body scrub. Mix some turmeric with gram flour and water and use it to scrub all over your body before your shower. Doing this regularly will indeed help you get a glowing skin. Ask any bride in India and she will affirm that this is the beauty regimen that they dutifully follow weeks before their wedding to get a spotless skin.
- One problem that often besets pregnant women is the appearance of stretch marks on their abdomen. If you’ve wondered how stretch marks can be avoided, try applying a mixture of turmeric with yogurt to the abdomen and then it wipe off after five minutes. If you continue this regularly, it will help in maintaining the elasticity of the skin and prevent stretch marks.
- Turmeric has also been dubbed the wonder product because of its ability to fight free radicals. This excellent anti-oxidant is known to help prevent various diseases as well as cancer. In fact, turmeric is one of the best known remedies used to reduce the recovery time of various skin afflictions that are caused by chicken pox etc. Turmeric helps in reducing skin rashes as well.
- For those who want to reduce the hair growth on their face, turmeric again comes to the rescue. Regular washing with turmeric reduces facial hair growth significantly.
- Grandmothers in India often prefer to apply a paste of turmeric to minor cuts, bruises and bumps as it reduces the swelling just as an ice pack would do, without the discomfort. Its various antiseptic properties are perfect for using it for minor cuts, wounds and abrasions and it helps in quickening the healing process.
- If you’ve accidentally burnt your hand in the kitchen, here’s a quick remedy to ease the burn. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with some aloe gel and apply to the burn.
- Turmeric helps reducing gum infections also! Apply a mixture of turmeric, rock salt and mustard oil to the affected area around two to three times a day. Follow this by washing your mouth with a little warm water.
- Feeling listless and tired? If you suspect you have anemia, then a teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed with honey, taken daily can help in countering anemia.
The only thing I don't like about it
is that it turns everything yellow.
It wasn't surprising to learn that is
is also used to make dye.
I am always looking for ways to make
dinner healthier and beneficially for my family.
Having to small kids that are picky about what they eat sometimes
it is hard to get them to eat the good stuff.
But with Turmeric I just sprinkle some on when cooking.
I know they are getting some great benefits.
Also cancer runs in my family so
knowing that I am giving my family something that
can prevent that is a wonderful feeling.
This spice can be used is sweet or savory dishes.
It is great on rice, noodles and meats.
I have felt better since adding it to
my daily menu.
It also has made Dr Oz list of top 5 Superfoods.
Want to try some Turmeric Tea.
Boil four cups of water.
Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder
to boiling water
for 8 to 10 mins
Strain into tea cups.
Add a bit of honey and lemon
We are going to have Turmeric tea party today!
I just made a tea cup full.
I didn't have any honey or lemon
so I used a bit of my tea creamer.
Didn't strain either just mixed it real good.
And well It was yummy I
am going for cup #2!