"From the director of the Spider-Man trilogy and the producer of Alice in Wonderland."
OZ: The Great and Powerful
I am super excited about this movie
coming out spring 2013.
As a little girl Wizard of Oz was
my absolutely favorite movie.
I would watch it over and over.
What is really exciting is that they just aren't redoing the
Wizard of Oz, but giving us a whole new look at the story.
Oz: the Great and the Powerful‘s plot synopsis: When Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot—fame and fortune are his for the taking—that is until he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis) Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity—and even a bit of wizardry—Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful Wizard of Oz but into a better man as well.
Discover the origins of L. Frank Baum's 'the Wizard of Oz
He actually wrote fourteen full-length Oz books.
Turns out the one we all know and love
wasn't so true to the books.
Here are some know differences
between the book and the MGM Movie.
- There is no cellar, just a trapdoor in the middle of the house floor which led to hole in the ground.
- The house is one room.
- There are no trees or other houses around the farm.
- Aunt Em and Uncle Henry had a hard life and never laughed.
- THERE ARE NO FARMHANDS- Hunk, Zeke, or Hickory.
- THERE IS NO MISS GULTCH.
- There is no Professor Marvel.
- There is no Toto being misbehaving plot.
- The cyclone just comes and Dorothy and Toto are too late to go down the trapdoor.
- Dorothy DOES NOT HIT HER HEAD and have a dream- the cyclone REALLY takes the house away and transports Dorothy and Toto to another place.
- The Good Witch of the North is NOT Glinda; Glinda is the Witch of the South. The North Witch kisses Dorothy to protect her from all evil.
- The Munchkins were not midgets or dwarfs, just smaller than regular adults.
- The Wicked Witch of the East had Silver Shoes, not Ruby Slippers.
- Dorothy is greeted by three men and the Witch of the North.1- The 1.Wicked Witch of the West is just in one chapter and is simply an obstacle to overcome as opposed to the centerpiece of the story.
- Oz himself has many different illusions.
- The Tin Woodsman was originally a human.
- The death of the Wicked Witch of the West is in the middle of the book, and the Scarecrow isn’t even there.
- Dorothy’s journey is much longer, and the team gets separated at times.
- Oz wants Dorothy to kill the Wicked Witch of the West as opposed to bringing him her broomstick.
- The Flying Monkeys weren’t evil; they were under control via a magical Golden Cap. Dorothy actually gets the cap and controls them.
- Everyone wears emerald glasses in the City of Emeralds so everything looks green (another scheme by Oz).
- Dorothy and friends fought more monsters and visited different cities, such as a city made entirely of china.
- The Tin Woodsman used his axe to kill 40 wolves sent by the Wicked Witch of the West.
- Then the Scarecrow broke the necks of a bunch of crows she sent.
- Toto isn’t responsible for everything and doesn’t have the super-intelligence he has in the movie (he accidentally moves the screen Oz is hiding behind as opposed to detecting the scheme).
- Dorothy is like 11 or 12.
It will be interesting to see how Disney interprets this story!